Fruit Fly Genetics
- Note: This module cannot be downloaded via the Internet.
- It is available for free on our Second Life Teen Grid Island.
- This island is open to the public but is limited to people who are 13 through 17 years old.
- If you want a copy of this game to use on your own region on the Second Life Teen Grid. Please have a teenager (13 through 17 years old) visit our island and obtain a copy via the boxed version of the game located under the game sign.
- Click here to teleport directly to the Ohio Teen Island where the games are located
- Click here to download the Second Life client viewer from Linden Lab
Grade and Content Area: 8th Grade – Life Sciences
This experiment is part of the Interactive Science Lab which also contains the sugar and water solubility experiment and the redi experiment. In this experiment students step through the process of seeing fruit flies pass traits to their offspring.
Description of the Science Content of the Module: Students step through the process of seeing fruit flies pass on thier traits to offspring. It shows heredity, punnett squares, and reading data from graphs.
Game Play: Upon entering the lab the students must right click on a stool and select sit in order to sit down. After sitting you must left-click on the test tube holder on your desk in order to recieve a HUD. After you accept the HUD you must go into your inventory and right click on the HUD you recieved and select wear to attach it. You must then click The Sugar Water Solubilty experiment in order to start it even though the first step is a pretest. After this all directions for the experiment are included in the HUD.
Education Standards: Grade 8 – Life Sciences
- Benchmark B Indicator 2
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 0538588. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.